Friday, 31 October 2014

Halloween



I have always been drawn to stories of the otherworld and the subject of death - my art is filled with these things. 

Today, on Halloween, we walked down to the sea. We watched wild grey seas beating at the cliffs. On our way home I observed the trees, some still golden with autumn, others stripped bare by the winds. I thought about the dying back of life that we witness every year. Somehow it is still always a surprise to me. 

On this night the veil between this world and the other world is meant to thin. It is as close as our culture gets to a night when we can think about death and therefore I now use it to remember our lost ones. Last year I was deep in grief for my first, lost baby girl. This year, whilst I still mourn her, I am also remembering the magic of this night. Because if we pass away and fade into the other world of our stories, we must also spring forth from there. And this year I am watching my daughter explore my mothers kitchen. 

Here's to our lost ones and to the dark creatures of our dreams and fables. Here's to things that vanish into darkness. Here's to that which springs forth. 

6 comments:

  1. I love the way her hair becomes her spine, or the other way around according to which way you view it. Amazing artwork

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps she's back in my etsy shop if you wanted her to come live in your beautiful van :)

      Delete