Monday, 6 August 2012

Coptic Binding



Today I went on a bookbinding course run by Lucie. She sells her beautiful handmade books out of the Albion Beatnik Bookshop on Walton street in Oxford. She showed me a simple version of Coptic binding, which leaves the spine and stitching exposed.  


I used a photocopy of one of my drawings as the cover...


And some photocopies of old botanical drawings for some of the leaves inside.

Lucie showed us all of this in three hours, sat in the basement of the bookshop whilst feeding us tea and biscuits. Perfect. I really appreciate handmade crafts in general, and am now massively excited about never having to buy a diary from a chain shop ever again. It occurs to me that I can also now bind my own short story or picture books...Gratifying that in only three hours I have acquired the basics for a skill I can play with and perfect for the rest of my life! Assuming of course that I can remember the intricacies of the stitched binding (Lucie gave us each a very clear instructions sheet, but I always learn better by mimicry). Maybe I should start on follow up volume at once...Excuse me...

4 comments:

  1. wonderful Nomi, thanks for this nice blog and I'm glad you enjoyed the afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nomi, Thanks for your comment on my blog! I replied to it on there but also thought I'd come and check out your site. Your artwork is lovely... I've never tried coptic binding but I'd love to one day! My book 'Five' can be bought on etsy here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/tomatitopress or at my website http://www.katrionachapman.com/tomatitopress - Thank you for your interest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for kind words about my artwork Katriona. And for the link - 'Five' is so beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person :)

      Delete