Thursday, 22 March 2012

Dancing Oxford...

My two nights at the Pegasus Theatre in Oxford have been and gone.
I got to know some really talented and inspiring people backstage - both other performers and crew - and had a good old giggle in the dressing room.

For me, the shows contained several revelations. I came to appreciate just how much I love creating - how much joy I had taken in all the hours rehearsing and choreographing. How lucky I was to be given, not only space to train in my home town, but the support to create a finished aerial piece. This meant a lot to me, because as I have not been formally trained in a circus school, I'm always keenly aware that I have missed out on projects, presentations of work etc etc.
Most gratifying of all, I was able to stand (well, hang) on stage and feel a revelatory absence - no fear, no worry, just excitement at performing my work and pleasure to be in the air on my rope.

Here are some slightly mad, psychedelic photos from dress rehearsal. It's my fault they are like this - I didn't want to risk getting flash blind and missing the rope! I actually rather like the way they have come out.




It feels like a graduation of sorts, after two and half years of hard work studying aerial dance.
I can't wait to get better and make more!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. Both my boys love what you do and John (tree climbing boy) looks on enviously at you "flying" away from the ground. Congratulations on the show and the choreography, we look forward to seeing more of you airbourne,

    ReplyDelete
  2. John definitely, he will climb anything and everything. He is one of life's unusual souls; Aspergers/high functioning autist. To us that means he treads his own path and doesn't follow the crowd.

    I keep looking for a local circus skills workshop for him so he can have a go. We will keep showing him your wonderful routines and see if it strikes a spark. T'other one likes his feet firmly on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you live? They run kids classes at the Circus Space in London, but maybe he would have a better time in a one to one environment? Sounds like he will find a way to climb whatever :) Oo - rockclimbing? (maybe when he is older, I cant recall how old John is!) x

    ReplyDelete