Sunday, 21 August 2011

Portrait, Brighton and Circus

A few weeks ago, a very lovely friend of mine from the old Devon days (who now resides in Bristol), asked me to draw a portrait of her.

I worked from a photograph (sitting not really an option living in different towns) but added my own spin on what her earring should depict...I always think of ice creams now when I picture Roxy, though this is because of an anecdote I cannot relate...Suffice to say it involved youthful shenanigans and a giant ice cream (although even saying that may be too much for those in the know).

I am pleased with the final result, and was delighted with having a new face to legitimately draw from. I am slightly concerned that always drawing myself will result in me learning my own features very well, and then never being able to draw anyone else.




I had a very good time in Brighton attending the Aerial Dance Festival (doing silks with Fred Deb, an amazing teacher from France) and catching some of the Pride goings on. I walked to my course each day down by the sea, which was sparkling in bright sunshine all but one of the days.
Sadly I failed to bring my camera along to any of it!

I also met an artist with a circusy aesthetic - Jake Spicer, founder of the Brighton Drawing School. Check out his beautiful work, which partly reminds me of Austin Osmond Spare's.
There is no higher praise....

2 comments:

  1. This is my favourite of your portraits I've seen. I can see the friendship.

    ReplyDelete