Monday, 27 June 2011

Exhibition

I was part of a small exhibition promoting young artists in Oxford as part of the Oxford Fringe.


It was a sweet evening with music and a great variety of art - it was very interesting to see all the pieces displayed together.


I sold one of my drawings, a piece called 'Bryony' which I did quite a while ago.
Three of the other drawings - 'Mugwort', 'Twins' and 'Trip' which are on the left hand side - are still for sale if anyone reading is interested in buying them. Just message me and we can arrange delivery etc.





I'm having an insect-inspiration at the moment. For quite a while it has been people with plants (which I'm sure will continue) but it seems now bugs have caught my attention.

The word for insect in Anglo-Saxon was 'Hond-Wyrm' which translates directly as 'Hand-Dragon', meaning small dragon. I was so excited when I found this out - it gives a beautiful insight into the culture and world-view of the Anglo-Saxon people.

5 comments:

  1. Hand-Dragon...that's wonderful, I must tell my girls that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for telling us that, I am teaching my class about the Anglo Saxons next year, I want them to make a jewel each. A hand dragon sounds ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only person who was so pleased by that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hand-dragon is beautiful, as are your drawings. Looking forward to the insect ones, and congratulations on selling a piece - even the old-hand pros I know are struggling to sell originals at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lunar! I was very pleased :)

    ReplyDelete