Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Whilst in Ireland

It has been a busy couple of weeks.
Before the buzz of May Day in Oxford, I went to Ireland to stay with my friend Nicola. Having been recently inspired to make some art using aerial, photography and video, Nicola was the obvious person to contact as a collaborator. Happily, she was equally eager which meant I packed up my (borrowed) rope and headed to Gatwick to fly out to Knock airport.

There was only one slight hitch getting through customs, which I was certain there would be, which meant I had to unpack my rope and explain to the bemused looked officer why I was travelling with it. Luckily for me he was a fan of circus and impressed by my hobby. He even helped me pack the rope away again - handy, as it can feel a bit like trying to get a python in a bag.

We only had three full days to work on the start of our project.

Day one was spent filming.
A friend of Nic's said we could use a tree on her farm. It wasn't massively high, but high enough to have a play about. The relatively lowness was probably a blessing, as I had to climb up thin blue twine to rig (after a hysterical ten minutes or so of us trying to get the twine over the branch by tying it to a stick and then chucking it)  - a very odd feeling experience having been used to thick corde lisse ropes!

Whilst she was filming Nic also took some beautiful photos. I've played about with the contrast and the colours in order to try and get images which stand alone, and to see the different moods and meaning which fall out of using black and white or overly saturated pictures.










Day two was spent cycling around the countryside of county Leitrim, seeing peoples amazing straw bale-built houses, making fudge and chocolate mousse and editing photos and reviewing the film we had got. All film editing is in Nic's capable hands - not one of my skill areas...

Day three was our day of ground-photography.
We were both really pleased with how these came out.
Now all we need to save up some framing money in the hope that we could exhibit some as prints...










It was hard to leave a sunny, blue skied Ireland. Waking up to quiet, chickens to feed, coffee, fresh juice, talking and laughing with Nicola and slow breakfasts together was very good indeed.
As was having even a short time to devote to making things...I look forward to a time when I could spend the majority of my hours that way...For now, the little rock-pools of art-making time are wonderful.

Arriving back in London on Thursday afternoon felt rather abrupt and alien - almost as if someone had drained all the colour out of everything.
My first Circus Space class of term was very enjoyable however, if not rather daunting. Just when you think you are finally getting strong, a new set of conditioning exercises is introduced and...dear me.

Luckily Beltane eve and May Day were bright, colourful and glorious.
But I will save that for later.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos Nomi! I have an old uni friend I bump into every now and then who also does aerial work, as well as stilt walking. It always looks so amazing and I'd have loved to try it, but I think my knees (as well as other bits!) are just too old and creaky these days! I'm intrigued about the straw bale houses...if we ever get out of the city and onto a country block, straw bale is one of the possibilities we have in mind to build our own house!

    ReplyDelete